Friday

Seeing Your Body As a Work of Art

I have been pondering the problem of how to get women to stop being so self-critical about their bodies and start loving their bodies the way they are, and learn how to show off their best assets.  Then, I remembered what I tell women during a personal consultation:

Picture Your Body as a Work of Art

How many of us look at our bodies and all we see are the flaws? 
  • My hips are too wide
  • I am bulging at the waist (you probably use the unflattering term "muffin top")
  • My neck has folds
  • My arms are too fat
  • My legs are short
I could go on and on, but you get the point.  We can all think of far too many things that are WRONG with our body, and almost nothing that's RIGHT!

Instead of being critical, think of your body as a sculpture that an artist drapes with fabric. The artist creates a pleasing silhouette by nipping the fabric here and there to call attention to a small torso and flows the fabric away from voluptuous hips.  The color of the fabric creates glowing skintone and makes her eyes appear vibrant and alive. 

You Can Drape Your Own Body Just Like An Artist

Start here -- stand in front of a full length mirror and look at yourself.  Name FIVE things that you LOVE about your body.  1-2-3-4-5.  There!  You did it!  If, for example, you chose as one of your beloved body parts, your shoulders, then you should wear tops that expose your shoulders, like a halter top, strapless, or boatneck neckline.  Everyone's eyes will be on your lovely shoulders!

1 comment:

Mary Lou said...

Hi Linda!
What a wonderful and inspirational post about the beauty each of us possesses! I like thinking of my body as a work of art. Lots of revisions have occurred to it over the years, and I wouldn't have it any other way. I, too, wish women in general would stop beating themselves up over their bodies. Cultural forces are cruel, but we control how we see ourselves!
I look forward to getting to know more about you through your blog.
Mary Lou